Steve was looking for a BMW specialist that could handle the task of delivering a S54 engine capable of delivering Supercar crushing Horsepower, as well as withstanding track use. Owning a lovingly customized Z3 M-Coupe, the rare factory fitted production that shipped from BMW with the S54B32, he wanted a no-compromises build for one of BMWs rarest sports cars.
This red-hot project looks fast just sitting still! With a shape like a Nike running shoe and monster R-compound Nitto tires over the polished HRE wheels; this car leaves no stone unturned.
After Steve shipped us the engine, about 6 weeks later his super-S54 was completed with all the goodies one could dream for. But not content with what the west coast tuners could offer, Steve decided the right choice for him would be to send the coupe to VAC for a total transformation.
Steve's S54 Stage 3 Cylinderhead before install.
Several weeks later, the car arrived. Work commenced on an all out build to make as much Horsepower as possible on the factory ECU. We can tell you this wasn't meant just to look good, this car had to haul ass! After all, Steve is an enthusiast, and owner of several other supercars. He requested nothing less than stellar performance from his coupe.
Z3-M sans its S54 engine, we already had his outrageous S54 completed.
However, complications arise as the confusing nature of this Z3-M baffles suppliers: E30 rear suspension, E36 chassis, E46 M3 engine...?
Example: Our outstanding Tilton Triple Disc VAC custom clutch package is prepared to be installed, but the clutch pack is delivered with the wrong spline! This car has an S54, but the transmission end is that of an S52us.
Tilton Carbon/Carbon Triple-Disc Clutch Pack
VAC Hydraulic clutch release, typical relegated just for the lucky few with race cars. This is real race technology that's street friendly.
Once the parts were all sorted out we could assemble this beast of a car.
Engine in, along with our ported S54 throttle bodies:
Details like reinforced trans cross member help to reign in 700+ HP!
But, you can't make Horsepower without air and fuel. So, a dual Bosch Fuel Pump arrangement, just like many race cars use, is employed
Finally, after all the necessary parts arrive, and supporting components installed. We are able to get the car together, along with a custom modified supercharger installed in a matter of hours.
V3 Vortec Blower, VF Supercharger Manifold and kit from stage 2, VAC Oil Filter Housing Lid, and A/N lines for custom Fuel system
Performance BMW Magazine came out to photograph this insane car and it wasn't even done yet. Feature in the works!
708 Horsepower, this thing is wicked! All on the OE ECU and through catalytic converters!
A killer stance thanks to KW V3 suspension and VAC Camber & Toe kit, the best dual street/ track suspension we have found for affordable money.
Monster front and rear Brembos are required with this insane power!
Engine:Customers Goal: 700+BHP, streetable, reliable, and supercharged
- VAC built S54 ‘Supercharged Series’ engine; installed and tuned from stock at VAC: All options including: VAC Stage 3 Cylinder head w/ VAC valvetrain, VAC ported throttle bodies, VAC Custom ground S54 cams, Arrow Connecting Rods, VAC spec CP Pistons w/ HD pins, VAC HP-Coated Rod and Main Bearings, VAC Competition High Volume Oil Pump, Custom dual-pump Fuel system with Bosch Motorsports Pumps, A/N lines, VAC 60lbs injectors, VAC Custom Fuel Rail, VAC Oil Filter Housing Lid, VAC Underdrive Pulleys, Custom order Zionsville oversized Radiator/oil cooler combo, VAC Custom dyno tuning. Aftermarket Carbon fiber Valve Cover. VAC Sleeved engine block.
- VF Engineering Stage 2 Supercharger kit – upgraded to VAC custom VAC710 kit, with overdrive crank pulley and Vortech V3 series centrifugal compressor @ 19PSI, standard VF-Engineering S54 Air/Water intercooler-manifold.
- Custom VAC Tune on BMW MS54 ECU, no piggyback: max power on Dynopack was 710+ BHP (with 100 octane / or Pump + meth injection) (Dynopack is calibrated for accurate readouts, we did not adjust to match Dynojet figures that read higher)
Drive train:VAC Ultimate Triple-plate clutch + flywheel assembly w/ Titlton carbon-carbon clutchpack, TC-Designs Transmission cross-member, VAC upgraded Diff bushings , Dinan Differential
- Complete repaint of exterior and engine bay
- Paint and body work done by Amato’s Auto body of San Diego: BMW ‘Imola Rot II’, Vented Hartge Hood, Hamann Front Lip, Shaved OEM antenna, High and Low beam HID headlamps retrofitted, HID driving lights added to front bumper, Blacked-out Grills, Hamann Rear wing & lower diffuser, reverse camera flush mounted behind license plate, Clear bra film.
Exhaust:Meisterschaft GT rear exhaust, HJS High-flow Cats, SuperSprint headers
Suspension & Chassis:KW Variant 3 2-way Adj. Coilovers, Powergrid Sway bar end links, VAC Suspension Bushings, Upgraded Anti-roll bars, TCK Spherical RSMs, Dinan rear subframe/diff support, VAC Weld-in Chassis reinforcements.
Brakes:Brembo GT Big Brake Kit front & rear.
Wheels and tires:
- HRE 595 Wheels - 19“ Fully Polished
- Toyo R-Compound 235/35-ZR19 Front, 295/30-ZR19 Rear Tires
Interior / In Car Entertainment:By Lajolla Audio
Audio System - Alpine INA-W910BT (dash modification to double din ac panel + guage relocation) Alpine PXA-H701 Processor, DVD Navigation NVE-N872A, XM Satellite Radio iPod Audio Video
Pioneer Multi View Reverse Camera - flush mounted behind license plate Alpine F#1 MRV-F900/ Alpine MRD-M605/ Arc Audio KS125.2 amplifiers Focal BE Beryllium Tweeters C notched into A pillars
Focal Utopia front 3W2BE3.5” (3.5 inch in top of dash board) kit, Alpine f#1 spx-z18t 6.5 in mid bass in stock front kick panels with custom grills Alpine f#1 4” and tweeters in stock rear headliner location
JL audio 10w6 subwoofer in a fiberglass enclosure in right rear side panel
Radar System Escort 9500 ci built in radar detection with front and rear laser blocking
display color changed from blue to red and built into stock cluster Interior mods
custom dash board with defi link guages leather wrapped w/red stitching
Custom center radio bezel with carbon fiber
iPhone mount moulded into console side panel wrapped in leather
LED lit switch panel to control accessories and stock ac and hidden switches behind leather In front of armrest console for rear tail light black out + radar mute
Totally modified steering wheel (D) wrapped in carbon fiber and leather with integrated radio controls (wireless) into steering wheel red body colored guage bezels, dash trim, door trim, ac vents, speaker grill trim etc
door panels redone with black leather ,red stitching, suede inserts seats redone with perforated suede inserts with M emblem headliner done in charcoal alcantara with red stitching hush mat / sound deadening complete interior panels incl doors roof and floor
roll bar with cross bar painted body color and 5 point harness with the additional sparco race seats for the track also for the track a built in yeasu ftm10r ham radio
Amato’s Auto body of San Diego